[GRASS-dev] GRASS 7: r.shaded.relief changed name?

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at ncsu.edu
Wed Apr 22 20:06:46 PDT 2015

I agree with Carlos on this , I think r.shaded.relief was pretty clear what
it was doing. As I learned recently, r.relief indeed can be confused with
any of the numerous relief metrics.

Helena

On Wednesday, April 22, 2015, Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Carlos,
>
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 8:44 AM, Carlos Grohmann <
> carlos.grohmann at gmail.com
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','carlos.grohmann at gmail.com');>> wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > I just installed the latest pkg for GRASS 7 on OSX (nice splash screen
> BTW)
> > and r.shaded.relief is now just r.relief
> >
> > Is it too much if ask why this change? To me, r.shaded.relief is so much
> better, it describes the module.
>
> I did the rename after discussion with Michael Barton and Markus Neteler.
> We've tried to consider different names for several modules and picked the
> ones which seemed less confusing. See the discussion:
>
> http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2014-November/071904.html
>
> http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Re-GRASS-SVN-r62845-in-grass-trunk-scripts-d-shadedmap-r-shadedmap-td5174184.html
>

> > r.relief might be confusing (is it to calculate some rellief-related
> parameter?
>
> I'm afraid that in case of these modules, basically anything can be
> confusing. Let us know what do you think after reading the discussion, so
> we have some more feedback.
>
> > local relief? other morphometric parameter?).
>
> BTW, there is r.local.relief in addons.
>
> Vaclav
>

> > best
> >
> > Carlos
> >

> > --
> > Prof. Carlos Henrique Grohmann
> > Institute of Energy and Environment - Univ. of São Paulo, Brazil
> > - Digital Terrain Analysis | GIS | Remote Sensing -
> >
> > http://carlosgrohmann.com
> > http://orcid.org/0000-0001-5073-5572

Helena Mitasova
Associate Professor
Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
North Carolina State University
1125 Jordan Hall
NCSU Box 8208
Raleigh, NC 27695-8208