[GRASS-dev] Limit in g.message? was: Limit in number of "variables" for r.mapcalc?

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Fri Apr 24 15:09:06 PDT 2015

* Nikos Alexandris <nik at nikosalexandris.net> [2015-04-25 00:51:30 +0300]:

> Hi devs,
>
> is there a limit in the number of "variables" that r.mapcalc accepts
> within from 'eval'? If yes, how big is it?
>
> I am trying to feed r.mapcalc's eval with a fairly large number of pixel
> modifiers and, given that the final expression is a valid one, the
> execution ends with:
>
>     debug=1 ended with error
>     Process ended with non-zero return code -11. See errors in the (error)
>     output.

Problem resolved.

As I tend to use g.message to print out almost everything while testing
scripts, it seems I hit a limit in g.message this time! r.mapcalc has no
problem dealing with the long and complex expression fed to eval.

So the question is, is there a limit in g.message? Number of characters?
I recall a similar question of mine regarding r.support, but I can't
trace it back.

Thanks, Nikos