[GRASS-dev] Failing tests and t.connect 3 hour test solved

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed Aug 5 07:17:51 PDT 2015

Hi Vaclav,

On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 4:06 PM, Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> as reported earlier [1, 2] t.connect test test_distr_tgis_db_raster.py [3]
> in Piemonte Location [4] takes 3.5 hours to execute [5]. This is happening
> constantly for a long time already [6] but it was not happening at the very
> beginning [7].

... it is really great that this works now! Thanks for the time spent on it.

> Now I realized (the hard way) that the test was creating 40 GB of data
> (mostly null files). Which explains why it took so long and why the tests
> were broken (no space left on the device). The reason was forgotten call to
> g.region before creation of the test data. I fixed that in r65836 [8].

This might be a nice chance to make use of

export GRASS_COMPRESS_NULLS=1

and/or [11]
 r.null -z  to re-create the null file using the current compression
setting (i.e. compress/decompress).

This might dramatically shrink the disk space consumption with larger files.

Markus

[11] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2349