[GRASS-dev] WARNING TO MAC USERS - WAIT UPDATING TO EL CAPITAN (OS X 10.11)

Benjamin Ducke benducke at fastmail.fm
Sat Dec 5 02:58:35 PST 2015

Hi,

On 04/12/15 21:51, William Kyngesburye wrote:
> My thought is that it's a packaging problem.
>
> As it is, the GRASS source should run on El Cap, with a simple
> configure-make-install and no packaging.  It will use external
> libraries in their installed locations, which should work in El Cap.
>
> The problem comes when some of those external libraries are bundled
> inside the app without any modification (ie wxPython).  Those
> libraries still have their embedded install locations which would
> normally break other software (and is not related to the El Capitan
> problem), but GRASS sets DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH to get around this (I
> don't know the original reason for this, but it makes the package
> moveable/renamable).  DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH is where the El Cap problem
> comes in - as part of new security features the system now ignores
> this.

The situation seems a litte more complex.
Apparently, DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH is not always ignored;
but it cannot be inherited by subprocesses if the latter
are spawned by programs that are deemed integral to system
security.

There is a very informative discussion about this
issue on the PostgreSQL mailing list:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/561E73AB.8060800@gmx.net

Note in particular this reply, which sheds some light
on the effects of SIP on system programs like
"sh" and "python":

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAB7nPqSVgbf4kX6=L-pd9GjJ3O_VLSxuoPA6LML6JoiF+HP-Mg@mail.gmail.com

> 2 possible solutions, both on the packaging end:

As a third alternative:

It is still possible (wonder for how much longer?)
to disable SIP and make DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH work
as expected on El Capitan.

Best,

Ben