[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #2660: r.external / r.external.out: support paths relative to the mapset, and variables

GRASS GIS trac at osgeo.org
Tue Dec 29 05:24:39 PST 2015

#2660: r.external / r.external.out: support paths relative to the mapset, and
variables
--------------------------+---------------------------------
  Reporter:  sbl          |      Owner:  grass-dev@…
      Type:  defect       |     Status:  new
 Component:  Raster       |    Version:  svn-releasebranch70
Resolution:               |   Keywords:  r.external.out
       CPU:  Unspecified  |   Platform:  Unspecified
--------------------------+---------------------------------

Comment (by dnewcomb):

 Replying to [comment:4 sbl]:
 > This issue applies equally to r.external, where links are allways
 converted to absolute paths
 (https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/raster/r.external/main.c
 lines: 162-170).

 > Both r.external and r.external.out are therefore practically unusable in
 mixed environments where data can / should be accessed from both Windows
 and Linux. Maps linked with r.external / r.external.out will not be
 readable across platforms, because absolute paths differ (of course
 directory delimiters differ as well).

 It seems to me that there is a limit to what GRASS can do to solve this
 issue.  Relative paths can also be disrupted between OS's due to the
 difference in directory delimiters ( / vs \ ) .  Perhaps the best option
 is a method for detection and "repair" that allows one to clone the
 settings for the original link and create a new link with a user specified
 path?  Perhaps one that creates the new link with a suffix of _w for
 windows or a suffix of _l for linux?

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2660#comment:5>
GRASS GIS <https://grass.osgeo.org>