[GRASS-dev] strange behavior of gselect.Select

Anna Petrášová kratochanna at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 07:51:46 PST 2015

On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 9:54 AM, Luca Delucchi <lucadeluge at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> working on g.gui.tplot I have problems with gselect.Select in the Vector
> panel.
> Right now there is a wx.EVT_TEXT event and it works well if the vector
> temporal dataset is selected by the scroll down menu but it return
> errors if the user try to write him self the name of the temporal
> dataset, because for each added character it run the connected
> function
>
> GRASS_INFO_MESSAGE(13258,1): ERROR: Space time vector dataset <p> not found
> GRASS_INFO_END(13258,1)
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File
> "/home/lucadelu/compilati/grass_trunk/dist.x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/gui/wxpython/tplot/frame.py",
> line 842, in OnVectorSelected
>     column='name')
>   File
> "/home/lucadelu/compilati/grass_trunk/dist.x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/etc/python/grass/script/core.py",
> line 461, in read_command
>     return handle_errors(returncode, stdout, args, kwargs)
>   File
> "/home/lucadelu/compilati/grass_trunk/dist.x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/etc/python/grass/script/core.py",
> line 329, in handle_errors
>     returncode=returncode)
> grass.exceptions.CalledModuleError: L'esecuzione del modulo None
> ['t.vect.list', '-s', 'column=name', 'input=p'] è terminata con errori
> Processo terminato con codice di return diverso da zero 1. Vedi gli
> errori nel (error) output.
>
> So I tried to change the event in wx.EVT_TEXT_ENTER this not working
> at all, no error and no call to the function.
>
> Instead if I use wx.EVT_COMBOBOX_CLOSEUP it works when I select the
> temporal dataset but no when the user types the name.
>
> My idea is to replace wx.EVT_TEXT with both wx.EVT_TEXT_ENTER and
> wx.EVT_COMBOBOX_CLOSEUP as suggested in the attached patch but I would
> like why wx.EVT_TEXT_ENTER is not working at all, do you have any
> idea?

The TextCtrl must have wx.TE_PROCESS_ENTER style set, that might be the
problem.

I was dealing with this by checking the existence of the typed map after
every typed letter. This can slow it down little bit during typing, so I am
not sure which solution is actually better. With the event bound to Enter,
users sometimes don't understand they have to press Enter.

Anna