[GRASS-dev] Making start of GRASS GIS easier for newcomers

Blumentrath, Stefan Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Mon Feb 2 23:53:44 PST 2015

Dear all,

Following this relatively long thread one can observe that some arguments and proposals are being repeated, while other aspects receive probably less attention than they deserve.
Therefor Anna`s suggestion below seems quite reasonable, in order to e.g. identify differences between solutions proposed, pros and cons and for preparing a decision on this.

>We probably need to put all these (detailed) suggestions on trac.
>
>Anna

Finally, I could think of two other “improvements” (I do not want to make things more complicated):

1)     I was just wondering, every module has a manual, the startup-screen does not. What about having a e.g. the “Location and Mapsets” wiki page as a manual behind e.g. a (not too flashy) question-mark-button on the on the welome screen.

2)     When providing a demo location, personally, I would be afraid that people blindly start using it for their work. Would it be possible to launch an info message every time a user starts a mapset in “demolocation”, which tells that it is meant for demo purposes only and that he/she should build up a GRASS GIS database according to the relevant maping context (providing access/link to in depth “Location and Mapset” information)?

Cheers
Stefan