[GRASS-dev] Making start of GRASS GIS easier for newcomers

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 03:50:20 PST 2015

On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 9:12 AM, Moritz Lennert
<mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:
> On 03/02/15 09:04, Markus Metz wrote:
>>
>> We can go on forever with this "I prefer this" and "But I prefer
>> that". Instead I would propose a poll with GRASS users and let them
>> decide.
>

> I actually don't think we need to "decide". Why not just propose different
> startup options and users can chose amongst them ?

But what should a user see upon first start?

There could be two welcome screens, a minimal one with an advanced
button, and the current one with a simple button. On next start, the
previously used welcome screen would be used (new GISRC variable).
That should make everybody happy.

A prototype for a minimal welcome screen actually exists in Settings
-> GRASS working environment -> Change location and mapset.

Markus M