[GRASS-dev] splash screen image comes up too late [Re: Planning GRASS GIS 7.0.0RC2]

Anna Petrášová kratochanna at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 05:09:04 PST 2015

On Sat, Feb 7, 2015 at 6:06 AM, Moritz Lennert <mlennert at club.worldonline.be
> wrote:

> On 07/02/15 10:12, Martin Landa wrote:
>
>> Hi,

>>> Although this example will work fine, it overlooks the main reason
>>> programmers add a splash screen; to give the user feedback while a
>>> program
>>> is loading.
>>>

>> this is right.
>>
>>  It first displays splash screen for 1 second and then start to load the
>>> main
>>> frame. So this would basically make the gui start even longer.
>>> I don't have problems as you describe so it's difficult to test
>>> anything. I
>>>

>> Same here, I wonder if to go back to the previous version of splashscreen.
>>

> I don't think that the splash screen significantly slows down the start of
> the GUI, but to solve that issue, if something like wx.Yield() does not
> work, it seems that the general recommendation is threading, so that the
> program can load in a separate thread.

I am not sure how to do that, generally GUI should be always in the main
thread. We could try to make the start faster by importing some parts of
gui only when they are needed, but I am not sure if that will cause
significant speed up.

>>  still don'y understand, did you have the same problems with the old
>>> splash
>>> screen?
>>>

>> I also didn't understand that. Martin
>>

> Yes, sorry, I see that I wasn't clear: I'm having the same problem with
> all versions of GRASS. I don't know if this is related to wxpython 3 ?
> Maybe wx.Yield() is handled differently now ?
>
> I don't really know for how long this problem has existed, I've just
> become conscious of it through the discussions on the new splash screen.
>
> But if I'm really the only one with the issue, maybe something's wrong in
> my config.

I didn't have any problem with or without wxPython 3, but I have a new fast
laptop. I would keep the new splash screen in trunk, maybe not put it in
release since it changes start up mechanism and that should be tested more.

Anna