[GRASS-dev] G71 errors at startup

Anna Petrášová kratochanna at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 07:21:38 PST 2015

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 10:04 AM, Moritz Lennert <
mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:

> On 09/02/15 15:49, Martin Landa wrote:
>
>> Hi,

>>> I removed all the addons and now I don't get the error any longer. But
>>> still
>>> don't understand why i got this.
>>>

>> you need to recompile your addons against your current version of
>> GRASS. Simply run:
>>
>> g.extension.all -f
>>

> It would be great if the user could just be informed about this instead of
> seeing all these error messages...
>
> I don't really understand: does GUI startup call these addon-modules ? If
> yes, why ?
>
> It works in the way that when loading toolboxes for the Search module tab,
installed addons are called with --interface-description in order to get
the keywords and description to be searchable in the Search module tab. If
the addon is compiled for different version, previously it failed
silently  on Linux/Mac. Now you get errors. On Windows however, even the
previous 'silent' solution was not silent, instead you got an ugly error
dialog "python.exe stopped working" which in the newest version of Windows
8 doesn't allow you to see details about which application actually was not
working. For each not working addon you have to click on the dialog so that
the gui can show up.

So, I would suggest to stop loading metadata for addons, at least on
Windows. The addons would be still available in the Search module tree and
would be searchable by the module name (not by keywords or desc). The
change should be easy.

Anna