[GRASS-dev] Building GRASS packages from tarball on Launchpad

Ivan Mincik ivan.mincik at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 08:51:02 PST 2015

On 10.02.2015 09:34, Martin Landa wrote:
> Hi,

>> Sorry for late response, I have missed your emails somehow. Try
>> to install 'dpatch' package on your system.
>
> ops, you are right. Unfortunately the command now fails with:
>
> $ git-buildpackage --git-debian-branch=master
> --git-builder="debuild -S -sa" --git-ignore-new ... dpkg-source -b
> pkg-grass dpkg-source: info: using options from
> pkg-grass/debian/source/options:
> --extend-diff-ignore=(^|/)(config\.sub|config\.guess|mswindows/osgeo4w/grass.tmpl|config.log)$

dpkg-source: error: can't build with source format '3.0 (native)':
> native package version may not have a revision dpkg-buildpackage:
> error: dpkg-source -b pkg-grass gave error exit status 255 debuild:
> fatal error at line 1376: dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -d -us -uc
> -S -sa failed gbp:error: 'debuild -S -sa' failed: it exited with
> 29

The core of the problem lies in invalid Debian packaging format
configuration, which is set to native in 'debian/source/format' which
can not contain Debian revision number in version (value you entered
in debian/changelog file). 'native' packages are only packages, which
are developed directly in Debian project, thus upstream is Debian and
no revision is needed. GRASS is not native one.
We should really move to Debian packaging done inside of DebianGIS [1]
for final 7.0 version (Sebastiaan from DebianGIS in CC). I can provide
some help for this.

As a quick solution for your problem, is to set package version in
debian/chagelog to something like 7.0.0~RC2-1 [2]

1 - http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-grass/grass.git/log/?h=experimental

2 -
https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#s-f-Version

- --