[GRASS-dev] Compute mahalanobis distance using Scipy

Paulo van Breugel p.vanbreugel at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 01:40:55 PST 2015

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 10:13 AM, Paulo van Breugel <p.vanbreugel at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Pietro,
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, I will have a look at the documentation.
>
> Paulo
>
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 10:09 AM, Pietro <peter.zamb at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear Paulo,
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 9:57 AM, Paulo van Breugel
>> > I guess this is because the calculations are done in-memory? Any way to
>> > avoid this memory problem when using large data sets (something like
>> working
>> > with memmap objects?)
>>
>> With memmap you still have a limits of 2Gb I guess, you should try: dask

Just reading the memmap manual page, where it reads: "Memory-mapped arrays
use the Python memory-map object which (prior to Python 2.5) does not allow
files to be larger than a certain size depending on the platform. This size
is always < 2GB even on 64-bit systems.". Which is unclear to me; I am not
sure if that means that this limit is different or does not apply when on
Python 2.5 or newer (what is the minimum python version for GRASS?)