[GRASS-dev] problem in ubuntu package (ppa:grass-devel) was: can not install addons with g.extension

Robert Nuske rnuske at gwdg.de
Fri Feb 20 08:29:27 PST 2015

Am Freitag, 20. Februar 2015, 08:32:17 schrieb Anna Petrášová:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 9:41 AM, Anna Petrášová <kratochanna at gmail.com>
>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 6:03 AM, Robert Nuske <rnuske at gwdg.de> wrote:
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> g.extension from grass70 (ppa:grass-devel) still fails.
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> Traceback (most recent call last):
> >>   File "/usr/lib/grass70/tools/g.html2man.py", line 5, in <module>
> >>
> >>     from html import HTMLParser, HTMLParseError
> >>
> >> ImportError: No module named html
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> GRASS Version: 7.0.0+1svn64647~ubuntu14.04.1
> >> package from PPA grass-devel
> >> ubuntu 14.04  64bit

> >> Not getting anywhere with that error message, I build GRASS
> >> releasebranch_7_0
> >> from source according to
> >> http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install_Ubuntu#GRASS_GIS
> >>
> >> Everything works nicely, including g.extension
> >> [...]
> >> Installation of <r.grow.shrink> successfully finished
> >>
> >> :-)

> >> Starting the packaged version of GRASS 7 afterwards (/usr/bin/grass70)
> >> leads to errors and no wxpython GUI.
> >>
> >> Error message in popup window:
> >> Unable to parse user toolboxes XML files. Default module tree will be
> >> loaded.
> >>
> >> Ursache: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xfc' in position 201:
> >> ordinal
> >> not in range(128)
> >>
> >> Traceback (most recent call last):
> >>   File "/usr/lib/grass70/gui/wxpython/lmgr/menudata.py", line 62, in
> >>
> >> __init__
> >>
> >>     MenuTreeModelBuilder.__init__(self, filename,
> >>
> >> expandAddons=expandAddons)
> >>
> >>   File "/usr/lib/grass70/gui/wxpython/core/menutree.py", line 66, in
> >>
> >> __init__
> >>
> >>     expAddons(xmlTree)
> >>
> >>   File "/usr/lib/grass70/gui/wxpython/core/toolboxes.py", line 280, in
> >>
> >> expandAddons
> >>
> >>     _expandRuntimeModules(root, loadMetadata=True)
> >>
> >>   File "/usr/lib/grass70/gui/wxpython/core/toolboxes.py", line 525, in
> >>
> >> _expandRuntimeModules
> >>
> >>     desc, keywords = _loadMetadata(name)
> >>
> >>   File "/usr/lib/grass70/gui/wxpython/core/toolboxes.py", line 560, in
> >>
> >> _loadMetadata
> >>
> >>     sys.stderr.write("%s: %s\n" % (module, e))
> >>
> >>   File "/usr/lib/grass70/etc/python/grass/exceptions/__init__.py", line
> >>
> >> 48, in
> >> __str__
> >>
> >>     return str(self.value)
> >>
> >> UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xfc' in
> >> position
> >> 201: ordinal not in range(128)
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> >  I tried to fix it in r64661 in trunk. I assume the problem is that the
> >
> > error message is translatable and has some non-ascii characters. Could
> > anyone test it in trunk (preferably with different locale)? Any better
> > solution is welcome too. We should fix this before the release.

> [...]

- compiled grass trunk from source
(couldn't find a way to come by sensible version information within grass)

grass7_trunk$ svnversion
64696

- started grass_trunk

GRASS 7.0.0 (test_location):~ > locale
LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=de:en_US:en_GB:en
LC_CTYPE="de_DE.UTF-8"
[...]

GRASS 7.0.0 (test_location):~ > g.extension r.grow.shrink --verbose
[...]
Updating metadata file...
Manual page for <r.grow.shrink> updated
Installation of <r.grow.shrink> successfully finished

Afterwards GRASS trunk (64696) and current releasebranch (64695, todays ubuntu
package, thanks to Martin L) start fine.
None of the above problems persist!

cheers,
  robert