[GRASS-dev] grass70 package name

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Sat Feb 21 08:47:19 PST 2015

On 02/21/2015 04:06 PM, Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
>> I think it makes sense for GRASS upstream to use separate source
>> packages to allow co-installation, but this makes less sense for the
>> official Debian package.
>
> I would note that the need to allow multiple version to cohexist still
> applies, people will always need to run branche/svn versions on their
> computers.

Not having the GRASS PPA packages in Debian indeed doesn't mean that
users won't build and install those packages themselves, or in the case
for Ubuntu have both available.

What changes do you propose for the official Debian package to allow the
co-existence with the GRASS upstream packages?

The binary packages built from the official Debian package are
version-less, whereas GRASS upstream include the major and minor version
(e.g. grass-core vs grass71-core).

The /usr/bin/grass to grass70 & grass71 executable in grass-core would
conflict between these packages. But IIRC the upstream GRASS packages
don't contain that symlink. The same may apply to the x-grass script,
but thank may get fixed when I address the issue raised by Martin [1].

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-gis/2015/02/msg00047.html

Kind Regards,

Bas

--