[GRASS-dev] Make it clearer that GRASS 7.0 is the version to go for now

Paulo van Breugel p.vanbreugel at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 08:23:29 PST 2015

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 4:58 PM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 4:25 PM, Margherita Di Leo <diregola at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Probably also
> > http://grass.osgeo.org/documentation/general-overview/#AboutGRASS6
> > http://grass.osgeo.org/documentation/general-overview/#AboutGRASS7
> >
> > Should be updated accordingly. (GRASS GIS 7 is under development with a
> > first releases in preparation)
> >
> > Perhaps the "about GRASS6" should become less visible, as now is the
> first
> > that meets the eye.

Agree, and therefore I would put 'About GRASS GIS 7' first, followed by the
'About GRASS GIS 6' paragraph (or leave the latter out altogether).

That paragraph also links to the wikipedia about GRASS should perhaps be
added to the paragraph 'About GRASS GIS 7' instead (The *GRASS GIS 7*
(Wikipedia
entry <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS>) ...). And there is a small
typo in that paragraph: A full temporal framwork <- e missing in framework.

This btw means the Wikipedia article should be adapted too. I would suggest
the sentence 'GRASS 6.4.0 introduced a new generation of graphical user
interface called *wxGUI*. wxGUI is designed using Python
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Python_%28programming_language%29>
programming language and wxPython <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WxPython>
graphical library' should be replaced with the short description, perhaps
based on the above mentioned 'About GRASS GIS 7' paragraph?, i.e.,

The latest  stable release version (LTS) is GRASS GIS 7, which is available
since 2015. It offers, amongst others, large data support, an improved
topological 2D/3D vector engine and much improved vector network analysis.
Attributes are managed by default in SQLite format. The display manager has
been improved for usability. The NVIZ visualization tool was completely
rewritten. Image processing has also been improved. A full temporal
framework has been added. See more details at New Features
<https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Grass7/NewFeatures>.

Anybody who normally takes care of that?