[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #2532: TypeError: environment can only contain string when launching script on Windows

GRASS GIS trac at osgeo.org
Mon Jan 5 14:39:50 PST 2015

#2532: TypeError: environment can only contain string when launching script on
Windows
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  annakrat     |       Owner:  grass-dev@…
     Type:  defect       |      Status:  new
      Cpu:  Unspecified  |
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------

Comment(by annakrat):

 Replying to [comment:1 glynn]:
 > Replying to [ticket:2532 annakrat]:
 >
 > wxGUI's core.gcmd module has EncodeString() and DecodeString() methods
 which use whatever wxGUI considers to be the "system" encoding. Those are
 used by gcmd.Popen for converting the arguments to strings and by
 gcmd.RunCommand() for converting the process' output to unicode.

 OK, I used EncodeString, but then with non-ascii characters I get (ascii
 only path works fine now):

 {{{
 Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "C:\Users\akratoc\Programs\GRASS GIS
 7.0.0svn\gui\wxpython\lmgr\frame.py", line 842, in
 OnRunScript

 filename = EncodeString(filename)
   File "C:\Users\akratoc\Programs\GRASS GIS
 7.0.0svn\gui\wxpython\core\gcmd.py", line 101, in
 EncodeString

 return string.encode(_enc)
   File "C:\Users\akratoc\Programs\GRASS GIS
 7.0.0svn\Python27\lib\encodings\cp1252.py", line 12, in
 encode

 return codecs.charmap_encode(input,errors,encoding_table)
 UnicodeEncodeError
 :
 'charmap' codec can't encode character u'\u0165' in position
 40: character maps to <undefined>
 }}}

 I have seen this error in several other tickets, is there something we can
 do about it?

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2532#comment:2>
GRASS GIS <http://grass.osgeo.org>