[GRASS-dev] Planning GRASS GIS 7.0.0RC1

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Fri Jan 16 04:27:27 PST 2015

On 16/01/15 12:15, Martin Landa wrote:
> Hi,

>> Can we please get RC2 out soon? In the last days I have fixed numerous
>> bugs in the vector library and changed/restored the basic vector IO
>> interface, it is now more similar to G6 and it needed some code clean
>> up.

Thanks for all this work ! Could you explain a bit more on what types of
bugs this fixed ?

> I agree, but would suggest to wait at least one/two week(s), probably
> more bugfixes will be collected.

As these seem to be modifications in fundamental library functions, I
would plead for getting RC2 out more quickly than foreseen, i.e. I'd
plead for 1 week, not 2. That way these modifications will get a bit
more testing before the final release.

This is one example of why the proposed release procedure [1] contains this:

"Any backports during the soft freeze should be announced on the
developers mailing list with 24 hours advance to allow possible discussion."

Maybe this should be extended to "Any backports or extensive bug fixes
during..." ?

If these changes had been announced, we could have delayed RC1 for a few
days...

Moritz

[1] http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/RFC/4_ReleaseProcedure