[GRASS-dev] Sampling STRDS at point location(s)

Sören Gebbert soerengebbert at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 16 04:32:31 PST 2015

Hi Stefan,
from my understanding of your requirements and the study of your
script i would say, that t.vect.observe.strds should be the right tool
for you.

This module has two inputs. The first input is a vector map layer with
vector points. The second input is one or several space time raster
datasets that should be sampled over time at the vector point
positions. The space time raster dataset will be sampled over its
whole temporal extent (from start to end). You can adjust the range
using the temporal where condition t_where. You need to specify a
column name for each input space time raster dataset.

The result is a new space time vector dataset that contains a single
new vector map and as many time stamped attribute tables linked to the
new vector map as raster map layer are present in the input space time
raster dataset.
Hence, for each time step in the space time raster dataset a new
attribute table is created. The GRASS GIS Temporal Framework allows to
time stamp attribute tables that can be linked to a single vector map
layer.
The module v.what.rast is used for sampling the time stamped raster
map layers. All sampled values of a single time stamped raster map
layer are written into a new time stamped attribute table.

You can use  t.vect.db.select to print attribute values of the space
time vector dataset to stdout.

Example:
Vector map layer sample_points contains the vector points at which the
STRDS temperature_daily should be sampled over time. Output is a new
STVDS sampled_stvds and a new vector map sample_vect that links to the
time stamped attribute tables.

t.vect.observe.strds input=sample_points strds=temperature_daily
output=sample_stvds vect=sample_vect columns=temp

The output is generated with t.vect.db.select and should look like this:

t.vect.db.select input=sample_stvds columns=cat,temp

start_time | end_time | cat | temp
2001-01-01 | 2001-01-02 | 1| -6
2001-01-01 | 2001-01-02 | 2| -4
2001-01-01 | 2001-01-02 | 3| -8
2001-01-31 | 2001-02-01 | 1| -3
2001-01-31 | 2001-02-01 | 2| -2
2001-01-31 | 2001-02-01 | 3| -5

I hope this is what you are searching for
Best regards
Soeren