[GRASS-dev] New splash screen for GRASS GIS 7?

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 07:14:24 PST 2015

On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 5:51 AM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd suggest, in order to clearly distinguish G6 from G7, to replace
> the current splash screen for the upcoming G7.0.0 release.
> We may consider to get community contributions for this.
>
> What do you think?
>
> I'm not really concerned about splash screen but I think we should change
the Welcome screen/window. My suggestion is to simply remove the picture
and the sentence "Welcome to...open source GIS". This will save a lot of
vertical space which will be great advantage for small screens, for example
virtual box instances (the default screen size I got with VirtualBox and
OSGeoLive was not enough to accommodate this window). The other reason why
we need to save vertical space is actually a need to add more things. There
is "one row" for error message but I would like to see this replaced by a
block with info box for errors, warnings and general help messages (e.g.,
what to do next).

By the way, I just started g.gui from GRASS sesion without any wxGUI
application running (for a day or so). The splash screen was shows just
20-40% of time I was waiting. Most of the time is probably spend by loading
Python packages or wxWidgets libraries, i.e. before splash can be shown
(this is not the case when starting the whole GRASS when loading is split
between Welcome screen and main GUI). Also there might be some relatively
easy things which can be done to speed up start up of GUI (at expense of
starting things from GUI), namely removing the imports for things such as
map calculator from the header to functions which are handling the window
opening.

Anyway, new splash screen would be nice, careful design required,
historical map is safe way to go.

Vaclav

Markus