[GRASS-dev] New splash screen for GRASS GIS 7?

Maris Nartiss maris.gis at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 03:03:33 PST 2015

Nice ideas :)
I like #3, still if you could try to make a version with less
aggressive green for comparison.

As goes for startup screen - the good ol' TCL/Tk based startup screen
had a screen height dependant layout [1]. It was simply checking some
"screen height" variable set by startup sh script and then deciding to
show or skip the upper picture. I would assume that similar trick
could be implemented also in wxPython version. IMHO that idea could be
extended even further - instead of removing picture completely, just
rotate it by 90 degrees and place on the left side of startup screen
if screen height-20px < window height. Sorry, no code, just 0.02
verizon cents.

Māris.

1. http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/branches/develbranch_6/lib/init/gis_set.tcl#L195