[GRASS-dev] New splash screen for GRASS GIS 7?

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed Jan 21 10:35:08 PST 2015

On Jan 21, 2015 6:56 PM, "Vaclav Petras" <wenzeslaus at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 12:24 PM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org>
wrote:
> > The "project" has been introduced in the past to de-confuse user
> > coming from "other" GIS.
> > "Location" alone is not quite clear I fear.
>
> I see the motivation but random rename of one thing at one place is just
adding to confusion. If we need explanation, then we need something like
explanation in some less prominent color, similarly to what is in GUI
elsewhere (see attachment). Broad rename is out of question I guess.

> Project is very ambiguous, it is location, mapset or GUI workspace? For
me project is usually mapset, sometimes in combination with GUI workspace
and this how I explain that to people.

In my opinion we should not have the location selection dialog at all.
Revolution!

We should start GRASS right away in latlong like most GIS in the world.

Then let the user open the dialog to change projection if desired from
inside.

This would avoid a lot of questions right away.

Markus