[GRASS-dev] New splash screen for GRASS GIS 7?

Michael Barton Michael.Barton at asu.edu
Wed Jan 21 16:14:56 PST 2015

Vincent,

Here is an extract of my post, replying to Yann Chemin suggestion for a replacement for the Medieval central European map that started this thread. I mentioned 2 historical maps and gave example links. I also like the idea of a cool map created with GRASS. I’m generally open if it is good design and conveys a powerful message about GRASS.

Michael

========  cut here ==========

Since GRASS is a global project, how about one of the first truly global like Mercator's of 1569 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_cartography#/image/File:Mercator_1569.png) or Ortelius' of 1570 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_cartography#/image/File:OrteliusWorldMap1570.jpg)?

Better images than these from Wikipedia probably exist.

With such a map, we could have a slightly different message on the splash screen too. Maybe something like

GRASS. Bringing advanced geospatial technologies to the world.

OR

GRASS. Advanced geospatial technology for everyone.

C. Michael Barton
Head, Graduate Faculty in Complex Adaptive Systems Science
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA

voice:  480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-965-8130/727-9746 (CSDC)
fax:          480-965-7671(SHESC), 480-727-0709 (CSDC)
www:  http://csdc.asu.edu, http://shesc.asu.edu
http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton