[GRASS-dev] Making start of GRASS GIS easier for newcomers

Helmut Kudrnovsky hellik at web.de
Thu Jan 22 00:32:52 PST 2015

   > > > I find the fact that GRASS does not provide a default
   >> > projection system, but forces the user to think about projection
from the
   >> > start, one of its strengths, both for work and for teaching.
>>>
   >> On of it strenghts, yes. But I have been teaching GRASS a lot to GIS
   >> professionals who got trained on different systems. And many asked
   >> "why this screen? why cannot you just start like the other GIS"? And I
   > >tend to agree (again: optionally). The point is that we, on the
   > >contrary to many other GIS, still have all the control mechanisms in
   >> place which avoid that the user mixes projections. So that's all fine.
>
>And what will you do after 'just starting'? Do you have your data as LL? Or
will you use -o flag to ignore
>the projection check?

I agree. I can't see any benefit to be automatically in a LL location, as in
many cases your data will be in other SRSs.

what may be make sense: define your projection/srs by import your first data
and offer this option in a prominent way in the welcome screen and not
"hidden" in the location wizzard as at the moment.

and what I've learned from GRASS GIS :-) when using other GIS software:
first check SRSs of my data, open GIS software, define SRS and then load
data.

my 0.02c

-----
best regards