[GRASS-dev] Making start of GRASS GIS easier for newcomers

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Thu Jan 22 00:58:26 PST 2015

Markus Metz wrote:

> A suggestion for a compromise:
>
> Have a minimal welcome screen that says something like
> "Starting GRASS GIS in location X, mapset Y"
> nothing else, no list of all the available locations and mapsets
>
> Only two buttons: OK, Change
> Make OK the default, Change will bring up the current welcome screen.

That sounds nice!

And let the "Change" lead to a series of simple, yet distinct, 4 steps
to create:

1) Location (define the SRS, best by getting it from georeferenced
data, if available)
2) Propose to import data in the PERMANENT Mapset, and shortly and
clearly inform about PERMANENT vs. Other Mapsets

3) Propose to adjust the Extent & Resolution to the imported data, if
available. If not, propose to either manually define them, or give a
global map to draw on an extent?

Well, 3 steps. Or something like that.

Nikos