[GRASS-dev] Making start of GRASS GIS easier for newcomers

Maris Nartiss maris.gis at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 23:34:21 PST 2015

This thread has exposed a problem with GRASS GIS - lack of clear
vision (target auditory, "market niche").

I agree with Anna - startup screen is a problem only on the first time
and it goes away with training. We must keep in mind that GRASS is
more often launched not for the first time than for the first time -
make it easy for daily use not "I am just astrosurfing" use.

If you have been trying AutoCAD, MicroStation, you would know -
complex user interface, hard to run for the first time is not a
problem - I see new "GIS" users using those two "GIS" programs every
day and their count is not declining.

Please, let's not try to compete with QGIS in ease of use, as we will
lose due to lack of manpower and different goals (quality and power
over ease of use). Spatial data is hard. High quality analysis is
hard. Let's keep GRASS professional by providing easy way how to do it
right (and not a easy way how to do it wrong).

I would suggest to add a launch wizard that would take user through
location -> mapset etc. steps with nice explanations, etc. and nice
chekcbox "Do not show this wizard next time" - thus first time runners
would get their "let me google this for you" type hand holding, but it
would be easy to keep powerful startup screen for daily use.

Just 0.02
Māris.