[GRASS-dev] Making start of GRASS GIS easier for newcomers

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Thu Jan 29 03:52:50 PST 2015

Vaclav Petras wrote:

>>         To satisfy everybody, I suggest to provide a buttons with
>>         something like "Take me to LL", "Take me to default
>> location"
>>         and "Take me to XY". What do you think about that?
>>
>>         But the real improvement should be the messages which would
>>         guide you through the process.

Hi Vaclav, and all.  Thanks for the continuous hard working.

Moritz Lennert wrote:

> Generally, I like what I see, but I also have to admit that
> personally, and apparently contrary to many others, I do not really
> see as much need to change much in the GRASS startup.
>
> I just have two reactions:
>
> "Location represents a project."
>
> I'm not sure I like this restriction to location=project.

Me too.

> For my part
> I often use location=projection and mapset=project, but this depends.

If it is any worth, I use single directories for projects.-  Then
Locations for projections and Mapsets to organise everything as I think
is necessary underneath/inside.

> I'm afraid that such a semantic limitation in the startup screen will
> strongly influence users to go into just one direction...

Yes, please be more cautious here.

Vaclav Petras wrote:

>> A "Skip" button can be added next to Start button, once implemented.
>> I think that XY location in /tmp/grassdata would be appropriate.

> I'm very strongly opposed to this idea. You can be sure that many
> people will abuse this horribly without knowing what they are doing.
> In my eyes, GRASS should continue to impose a choice of projection
> system before working with data.

I use an XY location for various quick-tests. It's in my generic
"grassdb" directory, along with the other "projects".

> If we want to give people the opportunity to test GRASS, I prefer the
> option of a button that downloads and unpacks a very light demo
> location.

Nikos