[GRASS-dev] Making start of GRASS GIS easier for newcomers

Blumentrath, Stefan Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Fri Jan 30 12:20:17 PST 2015

Dear all,

I would like to support Michael`s and Nikos`s suggestions for changes in the descriptions on the welcome screen in trunk, as I think careful and well-thought-out wording will be an important means of "Making start of GRASS GIS easier for newcomers".

On courses here at the University of Oslo, I saw people creating a new gisdbase folder - in anticipatory obedience - at the beginning of the second day of the course, because it was the first thing we did on the first day. Shortly after they wondered how they can access the data from the first day... Saying something like "There can be more than one or more directories like that on one machine" is technically true but does probably not reflect the concept of the GRASS GIS database...
Furthermore, if that folder is predefined, people may be less tempted to create several gisdatabase folder on their computer.
One might even go one step further saying:

"The GRASS GIS database directory is the central place where all your GRASS GIS data will be stored/organized. Change the folder only for a good reason."
Also greying out the path (and not having it as an input field), as proposed by others earlier, could be a good idea.

As for the Location description, what about:
"A Location in GRASS is defined by a Coordinate Reference System. It is a subdirectory of the gisdatabase containing one or more collections of spatial data ("Mapsets"), which all share the Location`s CRS."
I also like this statement from the wiki: "You can think of a location as a data library for a region of interest."

For mapsets I do like Nikos proposal. And alike Michael I tend to compare mapsets with projects (and not Locations). In fact creating a location for every project would be counterproductive cause it would lead to fragmentation and data duplication...

Markus, from your experience from your courses, are there explanations which usually work particularly well for newbies and people coming from other GIS?

Kind regards,
Stefan