[GRASS-dev] how to work around "Arument list too long" error in a GRASS python script ?

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 05:48:00 PDT 2015

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 7:41 AM, Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com>
wrote:

> Modules which commonly use many input maps should have the option to
> read map names from a file. This mostly affects r.series, which
> already does so.
>
> If this issue was more common, we could consider extending G_parser()
> to allow transparently reading any option value from a file, using
> e.g. input=@filename. But that may just cause similar issues with
> --interface-description, G_recreate_command(), etc.

Good idea, although I'm afraid of potential problems with interface.
Similar solution, with similar potential issues, is to create automatically
`input_file` when `input` is multiple or when specified in code. Moving
things to parser is definitively more advantageous for things like
overwrite but it may cause some code and reading duplication for Python
scripts.