[GRASS-dev] Making sense of packages for Ubuntu

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 06:12:35 PDT 2015

Hi,

I don't understand how the packages for Ubuntu are organized.

The guide on grass.osgeo.org says:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:grass/grass-stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install grass7

Why do I need ubuntugis-unstable for grass-stable? Isn't ubuntugis-stable a
better choice? Now I have to get unstable GDAL, PROJ and QGIS in order to
get stable GRASS. I would say that ideally ubuntugis-unstable should
contain unstable or stable 7.

Recently, I helped my colleague to install GRASS from packages and Synaptic
showed grass and grass7 packages both with version 7.0.0. I used grass7 and
it works. So what is the actual state and preferred way of installing GRASS
GIS 7 (on 14.04 and 15.04)?

Thanks,
Vaclav

PS: I'm talking about the current state and I don't have an idea how it was
few months ago. This was the first time I trusted the packaged version.