[GRASS-dev] projection system in metadata [was: Re: <GSoC 2015> <Improved metada for GRASS GIS> <week 4>]

Margherita Di Leo diregola at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 06:40:08 PDT 2015

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 10:18 AM, Moritz Lennert <
mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:

> Hi Matej,
>
> Thank you for the updates.
>
> I have one question concerning the metadata templates: do I understand
> correctly that by default, neither the basic, nor the inspire template
> contain a reference to the projection system ?
>
> IIUC, INSPIRE currently does not impose this, but I don't really
> understand how such basic information can be missing from the metadata.
> What help is the bounding box info, if we don't know in which CRS it is ?

I agree that it sounds strange, however the bounding box is given in
geographic (unprojected) coordinates, and the ISO 19115:2003, where the
GeographicBoundingBox comes from, reads (B.3.2.1): "geographic position of
the dataset NOTE This is only an approximate reference so specifying the
coordinate reference system is unnecessary "

--
Best regards,

Dr. Margherita DI LEO
Scientific / technical project officer

European Commission - DG JRC
Via Fermi, 2749
I-21027 Ispra (VA) - Italy - TP 261

Tel. +39 0332 78 3600
margherita.di-leo at jrc.ec.europa.eu

Disclaimer: The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not
in any circumstance be regarded as stating an official position of the
European Commission.