[GRASS-dev] projection system in metadata [was: Re: <GSoC 2015> <Improved metada for GRASS GIS> <week 4>]

Margherita Di Leo diregola at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 07:32:09 PDT 2015

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 4:12 PM, Margherita Di Leo <diregola at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 4:02 PM, Moritz Lennert <
> mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:
>
>> On 22/06/15 15:40, Margherita Di Leo wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 10:18 AM, Moritz Lennert
>>> <mlennert at club.worldonline.be <mailto:mlennert at club.worldonline.be>>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     Hi Matej,
>>>
>>>     Thank you for the updates.
>>>
>>>     I have one question concerning the metadata templates: do I
>>>     understand correctly that by default, neither the basic, nor the
>>>     inspire template contain a reference to the projection system ?
>>>
>>>     IIUC, INSPIRE currently does not impose this, but I don't really
>>>     understand how such basic information can be missing from the
>>>     metadata. What help is the bounding box info, if we don't know in
>>>     which CRS it is ?
>>>

>>> I agree that it sounds strange, however the bounding box is given in
>>> geographic (unprojected) coordinates, and the ISO 19115:2003, where the
>>> GeographicBoundingBox comes from, reads (B.3.2.1): "geographic position
>>> of the dataset NOTE This is only an approximate reference so specifying
>>> the coordinate reference system is unnecessary "
>>>

>> Using g.gui.metadata on the hospitals map in nc_spm_08, I get:
>>
>>       <gmd:extent>
>>                 <gmd:EX_Extent>
>>                     <gmd:geographicElement>
>>                         <gmd:EX_GeographicBoundingBox>
>>                             <gmd:westBoundLongitude>
>>
>> <gco:Decimal>308097.937400562</gco:Decimal>
>>                             </gmd:westBoundLongitude>
>>                             <gmd:eastBoundLongitude>
>>
>> <gco:Decimal>20235.5644005626</gco:Decimal>
>>                             </gmd:eastBoundLongitude>
>>                             <gmd:southBoundLatitude>
>>                                 <gco:Decimal>914347.8748615</gco:Decimal>
>>                             </gmd:southBoundLatitude>
>>                             <gmd:northBoundLatitude>
>>                                 <gco:Decimal>156998.1718615</gco:Decimal>
>>                             </gmd:northBoundLatitude>
>>                         </gmd:EX_GeographicBoundingBox>
>>                     </gmd:geographicElement>
>>                 </gmd:EX_Extent>
>>             </gmd:extent>
>>
>> Looks like projected coordinates to me...
>

> I would say this is a bug.

(known)
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2014/MetadataForGRASS#TODOIDEAS

--
Best regards,

Dr. Margherita DI LEO
Scientific / technical project officer

European Commission - DG JRC
Via Fermi, 2749
I-21027 Ispra (VA) - Italy - TP 261

Tel. +39 0332 78 3600
margherita.di-leo at jrc.ec.europa.eu

Disclaimer: The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not
in any circumstance be regarded as stating an official position of the
European Commission.