[GRASS-dev] GSoC 2015: Mapnik rendering engine for GRASS GIS

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 21:38:19 PDT 2015

I was thinking about this a little bit and I still don't see what would be
the advantages of Mapnik over other solutions and how used would be the
result considering that the GUI would be still quite limited. For me it
seems that if I need some basic outputs, map display with cairo is fine
especially if we would have some more improvements [1]. If I need advanced
cartography I have to go to QGIS or something like Mapnik or GMT.

The idea of using Mapnik as common OSGeo cartographic backend seems dead
[2] but perhaps QGIS is here to take this place.

Or do you see this also a something like a missing GUI for Mapnik where one
could generate just some configuration file which could be later used
somewhere else with Mapnik?

Yet another direction is Matplotlib [4] which is anyway a dependency. But
perhaps this would be just another simple backend which is more
advantageous when used as part of API. There was actually an attempt co
couple GRASS GIS with Matplotlib map rendering [5].

Just my thoughts,
Vaclav

[1]
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2015#CompletebasiccartographysuiteinGRASSGISwxGUIMapDisplay