[GRASS-dev] GSoC 2015: Mapnik rendering engine for GRASS GIS

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 17:00:55 PDT 2015

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 7:07 PM, Luca Delucchi <lucadeluge at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Or do you see this also a something like a missing GUI for Mapnik where
> one
> > could generate just some configuration file which could be later used
> > somewhere else with Mapnik?
> >

> No, my idea was to use Python API to add Mapnik backend to the
> Cartographic Composer, Martin proposed to use the C-API to add another
> graphical driver.

What I mean is that the by using Mapnik as a backend for Cartographic
Composer (CC), you are essentially creating a GUI for Mapnik. So perhaps if
you add few generalizations, CC could be used in this way.

And on a similar note, although Mapnik would be backend for CC or another
display driver, CC, Map Display, display library and d.* modules lack the
proper interface to use Mapnik's (advanced cartographic) features. For
example, if Mapnik can do the nice roads with outline where on a crossroad
there is no outline crossing, we have to have an interface to set the
outline and also display library (general/abstract display driver API) has
to handle the crossroad differently (just guessing here). Well, it would be
great to have these features.