[GRASS-dev] [GRASS-user] v.out.ogr dialog ask for user to type entire output path

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 05:54:33 PDT 2015

Hi,

> In the 'Name of output OGR datasource' field, the user has to type the
> entire path, which some times can be quite long. Of course I can copy/paste
> the output path but couldn't we have a directory or file chooser dialog
> there?

the problem with datasource is that it could be a file, database, ...
It's the main reason why the option has no hardcoded type. But I agree
with you, it should be improved. One option would be to write a
similar front-end as already exists for v.in.ogr or v.external.out (it
could be good starting point for v.out.ogr). But it requires some time
and programming (any volunteer here?) or to change option type to
G_OPT_F_OUTPUT (file). This option will still enables to type eg. PG
datasource (PostGIS). Another option which came to my mind is to
change form.py to use GDALSelect widget directly. It would be the best
option I would say.

Martin

--
Martin Landa