[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #2628: db.login does not ask for password as PostgreSQL database driver manual page says

GRASS GIS trac at osgeo.org
Mon Mar 16 11:11:32 PDT 2015

#2628: db.login does not ask for password as PostgreSQL database driver manual
page says
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  wenzeslaus   |       Owner:  grass-dev@…
     Type:  defect       |      Status:  new
      Cpu:  Unspecified  |
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
 The ''PostgreSQL DATABASE DRIVER'' manual page
 (http://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/grass-pg.html) says:

 {{{
 # example for connecting to a PostgreSQL server:
 db.connect driver=pg database="host=myserver.osgeo.org,dbname=mydb"
 # password is asked interactively if not specified:
 db.login user=myname [pass=secret]
 db.connect -p
 db.tables -p
 }}}

 I noticed:
 {{{
 # password is asked interactively if not specified:
 }}}

 So I tried:

 {{{
 db.login user=docker
 }}}

 But then I got:

 {{{
 > db.connect -p
 driver: pg
 database: host=localhost,port=25432,dbname=gis
 schema:
 group:
 > db.tables -p
 DBMI-PostgreSQL driver error:
 Connection failed.
 fe_sendauth: no password supplied

 DBMI-PostgreSQL driver error:
 Connection failed.
 fe_sendauth: no password supplied
 }}}

 I was not prompted for the password at any point. So it seems that either
 the manual page is wrong or `db.connect` does not work as expected.

 I think that I actually got the `db.tables` error message ("no password
 supplied") twice as presented above.

 Setting the password in command line works (but of course exposes the
 password in the bash history file).

 I don't think this is related to #2626 or #2627. I don't know if it is
 related to #1951.

 By the way, ''PostgreSQL DATABASE DRIVER'' title should be probably
 changed to ''PostgreSQL database driver'' (better typography, no reason
 for all uppercase).

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2628>
GRASS GIS <http://grass.osgeo.org>