[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #2628: db.login does not ask for password as PostgreSQL database driver manual page says

GRASS GIS trac at osgeo.org
Mon Mar 16 14:04:39 PDT 2015

#2628: db.login does not ask for password as PostgreSQL database driver manual
page says
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  wenzeslaus          |       Owner:  grass-dev@…
     Type:  defect              |      Status:  new
      Cpu:  Unspecified         |
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------

Comment(by neteler):

 Replying to [ticket:2628 wenzeslaus]:
 > I was not prompted for the password at any point. So it seems that
 either the manual page is wrong or `db.connect` does not work as expected.

 The interactive password prompting was removed in r32551. See also
 comment:6:ticket:1951

 > I think that I actually got the `db.tables` error message ("no password
 supplied") twice as presented above.

 > Setting the password in command line works (but of course exposes the
 password in the bash history file).

 ... a major security flaw.

 > I don't think this is related to #2626 or #2627. I don't know if it is
 related to #1951.

 > By the way, ''PostgreSQL DATABASE DRIVER'' title should be probably
 changed to ''PostgreSQL database driver'' (better typography, no reason
 for all uppercase).

 (Not sure where that is but please just fix it).

 BTW: see also #2147

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2628#comment:2>
GRASS GIS <http://grass.osgeo.org>