[GRASS-dev] integrate v.concave.hull into v.hull [was point cloud analysis: new features]]

Blumentrath, Stefan Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Mon Mar 23 01:17:19 PDT 2015

Hei Markus,

Not sure I fully understood you problem...

I guess you don`t have a "grouping variable" (e.g. a lake ID) for the contour lines? If you had one, you could probably extract the outer lines based on the attribute table (get max depth by lake (or min depth, depending on how it is coded), something like where="depth=max_depth") and turn them into polygon (if lines are properly closed).

Otherwise, if contour lines are not grouped by lake, personally I might have probably used PostGIS like this:
1) Polygonize all contour lines (ST_MakePolygon), eventually after checking if line strings are properly closed (ST_IsClosed)
2) SELECT all intersecting combinations of polygons in the resulting table (ST_Intersects)
3) LEFT JOIN polygonised contour lines with themselves using ST_CoveredBy
4) SELECT only those where left join IS NULL

Is that somehow in the direction you were thinking?

Cheers
Stefan