[GRASS-dev] g.remove usage syntax

Margherita Di Leo diregola at gmail.com
Tue May 5 06:41:51 PDT 2015

Hi Moritz,

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 2:27 PM, Moritz Lennert <mlennert at club.worldonline.be
> wrote:

> On 05/05/15 12:28, Margherita Di Leo wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> I find the current syntax of g.remove a bit cumbersome, because it
>> doesn't seem to me in line with what happens with other commands.
>> If I want to remove the vector file foo, I have to type:
>>
>> g.remove vect name=foo -f
>>
>> Without the "name=" it won't work, which is not in line to the usage of
>> other commands.
>> To me it would be more natural (and indeed i always type wrong the first
>> time) something like:
>>
>> g.remove vect name foo -f
>>
>> being name one of the two options (name, pat) that could be identifier=
>> or something better. In this case, it would be possible to type the
>> former command or the extended form:
>>
>> g.remove type=vect identifier=name name=foo -f
>> or
>> g.remove type=vect identifier=pattern name="f*" -f
>> (g.remove vect pat "f*" -f)
>>
>> what do you think?
>>

> AFAIK, this would mean a fundamental change in the way the parser works.

hmm.. I don't understand why. I tried to tailor this proposal on the
current behavior of the parser, as far as I could understand it. Can you
explain a bit more?

> I think it might be better to create small wrapper scripts, e.g.:
>
> g.remove.vect
>
> which could use just the name option of g.remove to have a syntax such as
> this:
>
> g.remove.vect foo -f
>
> If you use GNU/Linux you can also do this very simply by defining a
> function in .grass7/bashrc:
>
> g.remove.vect ()
>         {
>                 g.remove type=vect name=$@
>         }

Thanks for the idea, I'll try .

--
Best regards,

Dr. Margherita DI LEO
Scientific / technical project officer

European Commission - DG JRC
Via Fermi, 2749
I-21027 Ispra (VA) - Italy - TP 261

Tel. +39 0332 78 3600
margherita.di-leo at jrc.ec.europa.eu

Disclaimer: The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not
in any circumstance be regarded as stating an official position of the
European Commission.