[GRASS-dev] I've tripled GRASS's I/O speed

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 09:31:13 PDT 2015

On Sat, Oct 3, 2015 at 12:19 PM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 3, 2015 at 5:05 PM, Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 7:12 PM, Seth Price <seth at planet.com> wrote:
> > I suggest to start
> > with high level tests; this is much easier (you need to write a script
> > ideally using existing Python packages).
>
> Suggestion for a test:
> What about generating an uncompressed map (actually 3: Int, Float,
> Double prec), calculate md5 checksums (get through: g.extension
> g.compare.md5) then compress it, uncompress it, recalculate md5 and
> compare to the previously calculated values.

Good idea. At least for int/CELL it should always work. Unfortunately, the
functionality is not yet available in gunittest. Hence, g.compare.md5 is
necessary. The functionality is there only for files (not rasters).

What you can do now with gunittest is assertRastersNoDifference which diffs
two rasters in r.mapcalc and compares the r.univar  result with predefined
statistics (apparently more complex).

https://grass.osgeo.org/grass71/manuals/libpython/gunittest.html#gunittest.case.TestCase.assertRastersNoDifference

In any case, small random (or imported) data or existing data (from basic
NC Location) should be used.