[GRASS-dev] Mac El Capitan and GRASS

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sat Oct 17 13:57:19 PDT 2015

So far, I’ve been ignoring it - as far as I understood it, it shouldn’t affect the frameworks and apps I package (I don’t mess with the system).

Just looked into SIP more and I think I see where the problem is with GRASS - DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH is used to link all the GRASS libraries, SIP ignores it.  This is really a kludge, but it’s the *standard* way GRASS operates (supposedly makes GRASS renamable/movable).  The solution gets messy, though also makes things more clean: change all the linking to relative paths.  I already do this for my QGIS-bundled GRASS, but that’s done after installation.  For standard GRASS install it needs to be done at the make install stage. It would still be compatible with older systems.

Right now, what I do for QGIS is done with cmake.  I’ll have to work out a makefile method.  One thing about the relative linking is that it won’t work well (if at all) for external addon modules, those will have to be linked with absolute paths, which means that if GRASS.app is moved or renamed, addons would have to be reinstalled.  This shouldn’t be too difficult as long as GRASS.app is not moved or renamed, as compilation of an addon will use whatever is set in the linked GRASS libraries.  If GRASS is moved or renamed, addon linking could be very difficult to manage.