[GRASS-dev] Python equivalent of piping results from one function to another

Paulo van Breugel p.vanbreugel at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 01:10:44 PDT 2015

On 19-10-15 07:12, Pietro wrote:
> Dear Paulo,
>

> On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 8:03 PM, Paulo van Breugel
>> What would be the python equivalent of:
>>
>> r.category mymap | r.category mymap rules=-
> Let's split the problem in two step.
>
> First capture the output of a module (the python equivalent of bash pipe):
>
> {{{
> '1\tdeveloped\n2\tagriculture\n3\therbaceous\n4\tshrubland\n5\tforest\n6\twater\n7\tsediment\n'
> 1       developed
> 2       agriculture
> 3       herbaceous
> 4       shrubland
> 5       forest
> 6       water
> 7       sediment
> }}}
>
> Second provide a string as stdinput of a module:
>
> {{{
> Module('r.category')
> }}}
>
> or to do both things in one line:
>
> {{{
> Module('r.category', 'mymap', rules='-', stdin_=Module('r.category',
> 'landuse', stdout_=PIPE).outputs.stdout)
> }}}
>
> You can use a shourtcut to have a cleaner syntax close to bash:
>
> {{{
> Module('r.category')
> }}}

Dear Pietro, this is brilliant, thanks a  lot!

> There is an example in the documentation using r.colors but it is not
> rendered corectly [0]
I tried out the examples on that page, but I couldn't get it all to
work. For example, there are some examples that use of "stdout_=PIPE"
and stdin_=PIPE. I though that might be what I was looking for, but
after trying (and failing) to run the examples I basically do not
understand what is done there. The solution you describe above is
actually more easy to intuitively understand. It would be a great
example to include on the manual page.

About the manual pages, although very detailed, they are sometimes a bit
hard to understand (perhaps mostly for non-programmers like me), and
could benefit from worked out examples like you provide above. I would
not mind providing input, but lack a proper understanding of the code.
On the other hand, I have had feedback with great examples /
explanations for two or three times now which I though would be great to
include in the manual. What is the best place for such feedback /
suggestions?

> Have fun!
>
> Pietro
>
> [0] https://grass.osgeo.org/grass71/manuals/libpython/pygrass.modules.interface.html#pygrass.modules.interface.module.Module

I had seen the example, but to be honest even after rereading it isn't
all clear to me