[GRASS-dev] [GRASS-PSC] RFC 4: Release procedure

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Tue Oct 20 00:36:49 PDT 2015

On 20/10/15 09:18, Martin Landa wrote:
>>> Great, so I'll make a motion on this in the next days unless any
>>> objection pops up before.
>>
>> it seems that there are no objections :-) Martin
>
> reading it again, I would say that in some cases upcoming RC2 could be
> released as final. Eg. for upcoming 7.0.2 we have RC1 released. In two
> weeks should become RC2, in this case I can image to release final
> instead of RC2. So alternative roadmap could be:
>
> Step 3 (X+30 days) - Hard freeze & RC1
> Step 4 - Bug squashing
> Step 5 (X+44 days) - Final.
>
> In other words I would make RC2 as optional step only we will need it.
> It can happen that two RCs could be overkill. What do you think?

The idea of the RC2 was to provoke some more last-minute testing as some
fixes might have been introduced after RC1 and I'm not sure how many
people test the release branch between RC's. This way we make it more
prominent and can send out a call to everyone to please test RC2. This
does not mean that RC2 cannot be identical to final. It's just a last
chance to spot any serious issues.

So, I would plead for leaving it in. 5 days more or less is not that
much, or ?

Moritz