[GRASS-dev] importing & projecting

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Tue Sep 22 09:25:48 PDT 2015

On 22/09/15 16:49, Martin Landa wrote:
> Hi,

> [...]
>
>> Now the import wizard just silently imports anything without even informing
>> the user that reprojection is happening. This does not always make sense and
>> is a potential path to many disasters...
>>
>> Projection handling is not easy, but IMHO it is one of the strengths of
>> GRASS to force the user to think about it. I agree that r./v.import are a
>> very nice convenience, but their use should at least result from a conscious
>> decision, not out of ignorance...
>
> the current implementation in trunk should be improved. Please feel
> free to contribute.

IMHO, the best solution, as Paulo already said, would be to have
r.in.gdal/v.in.ogr as the default import modules used by the import
dialog. A checkbox (unchecked by default) could propose to "Reproject
maps to current projection system before import" or something like that.

For now, I propose to revert import_export.py to r65634 and to see if
everyone agrees with the above proposal of how to integrate the *.import
modules.

Moritz