[GRASS-dev] Usage of db_create_index2()?

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Mon Sep 28 02:08:54 PDT 2015

On 27/09/15 14:39, Markus Neteler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wondered about the speed of some vector modules (in ref of some
> recent tickets).

Which tickets are your specifically referring to ?

> Checking and running
>
> cd vector/
> grep db_create_index2 */*.c
>
> I see that this function is used here and there. As far as I
> understand it generates an index
> https://grass.osgeo.org/programming7/c__create__idx_8c.html#a25be9e2d14109e9e6c6fd9305ff4201e
>
> Questions: is it underused? Could we gain some speed using it consistently?

Probably, yes, but one of the biggest bottleneck for me at this point is
copying of attributes. See #2587. As discussed #513, this also raises
the question of possibly completely dropping dbf in order to profit from
(generally) faster SQL features.

Moritz