[GRASS-dev] Vect_open_old versus Vect_open_old2 and layer/field constraint

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 07:56:55 PDT 2015

Hi all,

what is the difference between Vect_open_old() and Vect_open_old2()?

Vect_open_old() doc says "this function is replaced by Vect_open_old2() to
handle also direct OGR support."

Vect_open_old2() has a parameter "layer name (OGR layer for direct OGR
access)".

However, it is not clear to me how the layer is involved. I already know
that with direct OGR access user is required to specify the layer name. But
what is the meaning for native vector maps? Does this limit the layer as in
case of Vect_set_constraint_field() or do I actually have to call
Vect_set_constraint_field() to read features only in one layer?

Thanks,
Vaclav