[GRASS-dev] Final Report

Blumentrath, Stefan Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Tue Aug 16 12:17:24 PDT 2016

Hi Mayank,

Thanks for WebGRASS! I am glad we can test it and thanks also for fixing the compilation issue so fast!

For me it would be absolutely OK that www-users cannot browse the whole server for GRASS DBs. And that all WebGRASS users are forced to work in one DB might be almost a pluss - from the administrators perspective ;-).

What I really like about WebGRASS is the simplicity of installing it. No long configuration and settings to be changed many places. Fast compile and It runs!

A clear drawback however is the Google based authentication, which seems to be the only available authentication method at the moment. Esp. for internal server deployment that does not feel right. Se also: https://github.com/rashadkm/webgrass/issues/19

Another question is: does WebGRASS currently only allow for a single connection at a time?
I opened one login page in one browser, and then tried to access WebGRASS in parallel from another browser, but I got a Connection Refused error...
Is that intentional or a known limitation of the chosen approach? The main aim of the web-UI is to give several users easy-access to GRASS on a server, isn`t it?

Or is the concept that each user should start his/her WebGRASS session (WebGRASS does not require root permissions to start the server process)? Would not that lead to possible issues with port conflicts?

Cheers
Stefan