[GRASS-dev] r.in.gdal: restrict extent of imported data set to current region?

Newcomb, Doug doug_newcomb at fws.gov
Thu Aug 18 10:18:22 PDT 2016

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 1:07 PM, Veronica Andreo <veroandreo at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello Markus,
>
> Ohh, I would so very much like that -r flag in r.in.gdal (
> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2055)...
>
> For the time being, what about:
>
> r.external
> r.mapcalc
> g.remove
>
> ?
>
> or passing the xmin, xmax, ymin, ymax to gdal_translate with -projwin and
> then r.in.gdal?

I would  get the coordinates of the extent of the current region and
pre-process with the gdal_translate  command .  A simple python script that
gets a list of all image files and extracts to that projwin with
gdal_translate for each one in turn would be fairly quick.

> Dunno how efficient would that be for such a huge dataset, though... I'd
> still prefer the -r in r.in.gdal ;)
>
> cheers,
> Vero

>> Hi,
>>
>> for the upcoming GRASS GIS course at the FOSS4G [1] I have processed a
>> set of Sentinel-2 scenes + a Landsat time series.
>> Altogether it accumulates to 90GB of compressed GeoTIFFs.
>> Since that's not very practical for a course, I would like to loop
>> over all files and cut the extent by the current region.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Maybe it would be sufficient to pass the xmin, xmax, ymin, ymax on to
>> the right GDAL function?
>>
>> thanks
>> Markus
>>
>> PS: sure, otherwise via GDAL ...
>>
>> [1] http://2016.foss4g.org/ws27.html
>>
>> --
>> Markus Neteler
>> http://www.mundialis.de - free data with free software
>> http://grass.osgeo.org
>> http://courses.neteler.org/blog

Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 doug_newcomb at fws.gov
The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the
official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of the
Interior.   Life is too short for undocumented, proprietary data formats.
As a federal employee, my email may be subject to FOIA request.