[GRASS-dev] assistance needed in packaging GRASS for Mac

Michael Barton Michael.Barton at asu.edu
Wed Dec 28 10:55:52 PST 2016

Members of the GRASS community,

I've maintained GRASS for Mac binaries for a number of years with the help of others with more detailed knowledge than I have of the build system and binary packaging on the Mac. In the last few years, that assistance has no longer been available. I've managed to continue to maintain binaries, but the approach I'm using has become increasingly outdated.

Since the release of El Capitan a couple years back, this has become increasingly a problem, with GRASS unable to launch without disabling System Integrity Protection (SIP) via an annoyingly complicated process.

Now, further changes have made it impossible for me to compile and package a working binary of GRASS for Mac that others can use. I think I know in general what needs to be done to correct both of these issues, but I do not know the details of how to accomplish it.

So I'm asking for help from the GRASS community. If anyone out there is proficient in compiling and packaging applications on the Mac, please consider helping out with this. You can contact me directly at this email.

Michael Barton
C. Michael Barton
Head, Graduate Faculty in Complex Adaptive Systems Science
Arizona State University

voice:  480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-965-8130/727-9746 (CSDC)
fax: 480-965-7671 (SHESC),  480-727-0709 (CSDC)