[GRASS-dev] Layer Manager notebook

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 08:50:04 PST 2016

I think

Layers, Console, Modules, Data, Python

are the best.

Layers - layers in the map (as opposed to data)

Console - this is how many programs call the place where you put commands
and get text output

Modules - browse and search modules

Data - show, rename, delete data, perhaps also reproject and import in the
future; close to "GRASS database" which is what we are actually showing
there; even now goes beyond catalog which usually just describes organized
list but not something you can change

Python - the only message we need to convey is that it is Python, you need
go there anyway to see how it works

In documentation all can be referred to as tab [1]:

See raster map layer in the Layer tab in Layer Manager. Type the command
into the Console tab. See the result in the Console tab. Find the related
modules in the Module tab. Manage data in Data tab. Rename raster map in
the Data tab. Execute simple Python code in the Python tab.

Another issue with these tabs is that people often miss them. I met several
people who were using Layers (Map layers) and Console (Command console) and
never tried Modules (Search modules) and Python (Python shell), although
they actually wanted to see something like the module/toolbox tree or
wanted to execute short Python code. I'm not sure if shorter names will
help but I can hope.

I would like to commit this to trunk soon.

Vaclav

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tab_%28GUI%29