[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #2916: configure bug (?): FORTIFY_SOURCE in CPPFLAGS breaks configure on Arch Linux

GRASS GIS trac at osgeo.org
Wed Feb 17 15:47:06 PST 2016

#2916: configure bug (?): FORTIFY_SOURCE in CPPFLAGS breaks configure on Arch
Linux
------------------------+-------------------------
  Reporter:  msieczka   |      Owner:  grass-dev@…
      Type:  defect     |     Status:  new
 Component:  Compiling  |    Version:  7.0.3
Resolution:             |   Keywords:
       CPU:  All        |   Platform:  Linux
------------------------+-------------------------

Comment (by msieczka):

 I forgot to say that the /etc/makepkg.conf contents I quoted are as per
 default Arch Linux settings, and that makepkg is an official build tool
 for Arch packages. I'm saying this just to clarify that I'm not making
 this case up, but that it's a real issue for Arch GRASS users, in case
 anybody wondered.

 So far I've been removing D_FORTIFY_SOURCE from CPPFLAGS before configure
 as follows, in my Arch GRASS PKGBUILD (which is an input for makepkg,
 something like a Gentoo ebuild):

 {{{
 CPPFLAGS=`echo $CPPFLAGS | sed 's/-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=.//g'`
 }}}

 If understand what you are saying, the following would be better (putting
 aside your point against forcibly enabling _FORTIFY_SOURCE at all):

 {{{
 export CFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS $CFLAGS"
 export CXXFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS $CXXFLAGS"
 unset CPPFLAGS
 }}}

 By "better" here I mean "preserving the intended makepkg environment at
 GRASS build-time".

 Do you know whether all (sane) CPPFLAGS can be safely be mixed into
 CXXFLAGS and CFLAGS like this?

 And what do you think about scimmia's "ancient version of autoconf used"
 #comment:1? I mean could using a newer autoconf version to generate the
 GRASS configure script fix the problem?

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2916#comment:12>
GRASS GIS <https://grass.osgeo.org>